I am having a style crush on this beauty – a Ruffled Paneled Mini Dress by Minju Kim, a Korean fashion designer. It is a dress in her Spring-Summer 2020 collection. Look how playful it is with contrast yoke and a ruffled flounce back!
I am sharing this newly made pattern inspired by Kim’s design – the Minju ruffled paneled mini dress.
This dress features an slightly above the knee length (I just lengthen it a bit in comparison to the original dress – I know many of you do not want to show off too much legs, of course, if you want it short, just cut off some from the hem). The yoke is made with contrast color. You can experiment with mixing different color combos, or some embroidery decorations – and see how beautiful it may turn out to be.
Below are just some examples of the Minju dress in 3D simulation:
And here’s another color option:
Do you think that this lovely darling is worth a try? Pick up your scissors and start cutting!
The pattern is made using layered PDF, please check for your desired size before printing so you won’t waste your paper. If you still do not know how to print a layered PDF, please check for the instruction here.
You can print this using your home printer and A4/Letter paper. I calculated the printing area so that you will be able to use either type of paper to print the pattern out perfectly. Always print the first page first and check with the test square if you are printing at the right scale before you print out the whole pattern.
Some PC may print smaller than actual size even when you choose 100% scale – I don’t know why this problem exist, but my HP laptop cannot print true to size. I have to scale up to 103% to get the right size. You may need to check with your PC to see if it prints true to size, if not, scale up a bit.
After taping down all the pages following the instruction, the overall layout of the pattern pieces is like this (I chose size L as sample):
The pattern pieces are to be cut as follows:
A. Main Front – cut 1 on fold
B. Front Yoke – cut 1 on fold
C. Main Back – cut 2
D. Back Ruffle – cut 1 on fold
E. Front facing – 1 piece main fabric + 1 piece fusible interfacing
F. Back facing – cut 2 pieces main fabric + 2 pieces fusible interfacing
Although many experienced sewers do not need a sewing instruction, I find that many newbies do, not because they do not know how to sew a straight line or insert a zipper, but because they do not know which step comes first, so I just add here simple guidance of the sewing steps:
1. Cut out all the pieces according to cutting instruction. Iron the fusible interfacing to the back and front facing.
2. Serge all the pieces (if needed). You can always serge later after sewing the seams.
3. Place the Front Yoke and Main Front Piece right side facing. Pin and sew the Joined Front Piece.
4. Place the Back Pieces and the Joined Front Piece right side facing. Sew the shoulder seams.
5. Place Front Facing and Back Facing pieces right side facing. Sew the shoulder seams.
6. Place the Joined Facing piece and the main dress right side facing. Pin and sew the neckline and. Turn the facing inward, sew a flat felled hem on the facing. Clip the seam at the curve for a smoother neckline.
7. Pin and sew the armholes. Sew flat felled hem from the side seams toward the shoulder seam. Clip the seams for smoother curve.
8. Turn the dress out from the shoulder.
9. Attach zipper closure at the back of the dress. Sew to join the rest of the Main Back pieces together.
10. Sew two parallel lines at the top edge of the Back Ruffle using longest stitches. Pull the thread to gather fabric until it is the same length with the Main Back piece.
11. Place the gathered Back Ruffle and the Main Back right side facing. Pin and sew the Joined Back Piece.
12. Sew the side seams of the dress. Note: if you want to sew inseam pockets, check out this post: How to add side seam pockets to your garments
13. Hem the dress.
And there it is, a beautiful Minju mini dress! It is a really quick and easy project and can give you room for creativeness. Sew it, and send me photos of your finished projects. I look forward to seeing your masterpieces.
Download link: Minju Ruffled Paneled Dress (size XXS to 5XL)