This is a nice and simple project to try for your little beloved girl – a pair of leggings coming with a flared skirt. It adds a playful feel to the regular boring ones – and with only a few extra minutes of cutting and sewing.
Made with stretch fabric, this design will surely become one of your girl’s favorite piece of clothing.
Let’s have a look at the options of fabric colors and prints that you can use to make with this pattern:
This pattern comes in 12 sizes for children from 1 year old to 12 years old.
After taping all the pages, you will get these pattern pieces as follow:
There are 4 pattern pieces:
- Back – cut 2
- Front – cut 2
- Waistband – cut 2
- Skirt – cut 2
How to sew this nice pair of leggings for your girl:
- Print the pattern and cut out the desired size.
- Place fabric on a flat surface (table, floor). Fold the fabric in half, place pattern pieces on fabric as instructed and cut out the pieces. Choose stretch fabric for this kind of garment.
- Place right front and right back pieces right side facing. Sew the side seam and inseam. Repeat with the left side.
- Turn one leg inside out, push into the other leg so that the right sides facing. Pin and sew the crotch seam.
- Place 2 pieces of the skirt right side facing, sew the side seam.
- Sew the side seam of the waistband. Fold in half.
- Turn the leggings right side out. Place the skirt out of the leggings.
- Place the folded waistband and the pinned skirt and leggings right side facing. Pin the waistband to the leggings and skirt. Sew the waist seam.
- Hem the skirt and the leggings. And you’ve made it!
For this type of fabric, I usually use overlocking machine. If you use a home sewing machine, here are some tips to sew with stretch fabric:
- Use stitches that will hold the stretch of the fabric. The stitches need to stretch with the fabric, so they don’t pucker and break. If you must sew with a straight stitch, then hold the material taut, but don’t pull it. There is a wide variety of stretch stitches available, depending on your sewing machine model. The best stitches to use for sewing stretch fabrics are:
– Narrow zigzag: opt for a very narrow setting with the zigzag, with the stitch length equal to the stitch width
– Overedge stitch: a speciality stitch that locks over the edge of the fabric so it stitches and finishes a seam in one pass
– Straight stretch stitch: this stitch looks like 3 parallel rows of straight stitches
– Twin-needle stitch: this stitch requires a twin needle. The right side of the fabric has 2 parallel rows of stitching. On the wrong side of the fabric, the bobbin thread follows a zigzag pattern
2. You can also try a different presser foot. A dual feed foot or walking foot attachment for your sewing machine is great for helping to stop one layer of material stretching out when sewing. Check the manual of your machine to see which one is compatible.
And finally, this is the download link: Girl’s leggings with flared skirt (1-12 years old)
7 thoughts on “Free PDF sewing pattern: Girl’s leggings with flared skirt”
This pattern is so cute my 9 year old will absolutely love this!!!
Thank you for sharing.
Hi Tiana, just wanted to thank you I’m a beginner a this pattern brought life to me when I finished, I really did it
TU I absolutely love these for my granddaughter it’s just what she needs for school
Thank you very much for sharing these patterns, it is incredibly generous of you. I love how original they are.
I’m in love with all these patterns, thank you for the hard work and love put into each and every one.
What I’d like to find out is, even though my daughter is 10, she is a bit more curvaceous, how do I know if the 10/11/12 yr old would fit her though?
Thank you once again
I’m not sure what size would fit her, but you can choose a more stretchy fabric and go up 1 or 2 sizes depending on your daughter’s body.
Have you adapted this to adult sizes?
Comments are closed.